Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bernice's Funeral

Al's wife of 69 years has finally passed. The final 2 were spent in partial dementia.Everybody loved her.How could they not?She was a a trash talkin straight shooter who always made people feel special somehow. Her sons were there, rough and tumble ex-drunks, waxing poetic.The grandsons, another bunch of ex-con drug addicts,keeping the faith.
Me, I was there to support the family.Or so I thought. My thoughts were constantly on my own mother's final years of dementia and the betrayal of her years of faithful service to Christian Science.She left no legacy of grieving children behind. No funeral for Mom, no loving memories,no touching anecdotes. Of course I have some. It's just not okay to share them.The blame game is strong in my family.I keep her ashes in my CD collection.A place of honor.My dad's flag sits atop the TV on the other side of the room,she'd just die if she knew they were in the same room.
Will my children have a funeral for me? Will they tell amusing stories of the times when I did the most amazing things?I think they probably will. I am a nut, with some incredible life experiences, and they know without a doubt that I love them fiercely. I just hope they play some decent music at my wake.
I hope Al's going to be alright. I really love that man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No Dad, u will have a place of honor for us, me for sure if that(hopefully ) makes u feel any better, i can tell u this though, the fact that we didnt really do much for grandpa or grandma when they died saddened me to the core...i think everyone really needs to think a lil more about what they do to have a relationship with their family members cause it really is who we are inside no matter the good or bad that happened in between...just so u know, me karrie and melissa have an awesome sister sister relationship could be better of course but its growing especially now that i made the right decision to come back, we are still working on travis but its growing...family relationships are there u just have to care enough to work on them for them to really develop or humbilize yourself to be honest and open :)