Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Quick Note on Christian Science

"There is no life,truth,intelligence, or substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and it's infinite manifestation..."

That was drilled into me daily growing up.

" You'll NEVER have to die." My late mother used to promise me.

She was a devoted Christian Scientist and was determined to make her children the same.

I bought it hook,line, and sinker as a youth. Until my grandmother died. Then I figured it was bullshit.

I was always tolerant of my mom's beliefs and didn't challenge her on them.

In 2002 my mother suffered a massive stroke. It happened at home with her "practioner" ( CS' version of a doctor) in the living room. The practioner freaked out called 911 and ran off.

It appears that Mom had experienced multiple little strokes leading up to that day and because of the whole "no doctor" thing was unaware.

She was placed in a Christian Science facility where they could "treat" her. No drugs, no doctors, just faith.

2 weeks later they kicked her out for being resistant and combative (by products of stroke). They turned their back on her. After a life time of devotion they wouldn't even visit her.

After 3 years of progressive dementia she finally passed. Alone, in a home full of babbling, wailing, feces covered old folk.

Not one Christian Scientist ever visited her. Not one helped comfort her.

What an uplifting testimony to the power of religion.

No comments: